How to Get a Lower Body Fat Percentage: If you’ve been struggling with your weight and have had a high body fat percentage for a while, I know how frustrating it can be.
To get a low body fat percentage one required a combination of a healthy diet, regular exercise, and lifestyle changes.
So, making changes to your diet, eating more protein and less refined carbohydrates can help reduce body fat percentage.
Today, through this article we will share with you a detailed information on “How to Get a Low Body Fat Percentage?”.
Table of Contents
What is Body Fat Percentage?
Basically, body fat percentage refers to the ratio of fat mass relative to your total body weight. Both male and female carry different amounts of body fat percentage. A male body-builder who is lowering his body fat percentage may have a percentage as low as 3-4%, where a female body-builder who is lowering her body fat percentage may have a percentage as low as 8-9%.
A male athlete can be in great shape and have 10% body-fat, where a female can have 180-20% body fat.
It is very important for overall health to maintain a healthy body fat percentage, because excessive body fat can harm your health conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers.
What Is a Healthy Body Fat Percentage?
According the the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (AJCN), healthy body fat percentage based on your age. Men between the ages of 20 and 39 should aim for 8% to 19% body fat, while women should aim for 21% to 32% body fat.
Similarly, for people under 40 to 59, men should fall around 11% to 21% body fat, where female should fall around 23% to 33%. And finally if are aged 60 to 79, men should have 13% to 24% body fat, while female should have 24% to 35%. Basically, women naturally have a higher percentage of body fat than men.
Body Fat Percentage vs. Body Mass Index – Differences
Most people think that BMI or body mass index is equal to body fat percentage. Before jumping into How to Get a Lower Body Fat Percentage, we need to discuss the differences between BMI or body mass index & body fat percentage.
Body fat percentage refers to the ratio of fat mass relative to your total body weight, where BMI is a way to figure out, if you are at a healthy weight for your height. If you want an accurate picture of your body fat percentage, you need to measure it directly.
How to Calculate Body Fat Percentage?
Do you want to measure your body fat, then here is the step to calculate body fat percentage. The most accurate way to calculate your body fat is used in medical settings. However, there are some simple ways to know your body fat percentage at home.
1. Calipers:- It’s not expensive to measure your body fat, you might need someone’s help. The device pinches the thickness of the subcutaneous fat. Depending on the skin folds you take; You use a formula to determine how much fat you have in your body.
2. Waist Circumference:- You can get a rough idea of how much body fat you have by measuring your waist, especially around your stomach. Taking your waist circumference and seeing it shrink is a good indicator that you’re losing fat.
How to Get a Lower Body Fat Percentage?
If you’ve checked your body fat percentage, and it’s higher than you’d like it to look, you need to figure out how to lower your actual body fat level. Don’t worry, here we will share with you a detailed information on ‘How to Get a Lower Body Fat Percentage’. Read the complete blog –
01. Eat Healthy Diet:- A healthy diet can make you lose body fat in the short-term. It is possible to lose fat while eating carbs. It’s just depends on the type of carbs you choose. Instead of adding refine carbs like sugars, white bread, focus on whole grains and vegetables.
In addition to replacing carbohydrates, focus on protein and vegetables. According to one study, adding more fiber and protein increases satiety levels, helping you reduce portions and calories. So, it is important to consume protein at every meal.
02. Try High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT):-It is a type of workout that consists of short bursts of exercise followed by a recovery period or low intensity exercise. It seems that High-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts can positively affect at mass, especially the fat around the waist-line.
According to a research, HIIT can increase your metabolic rate and reduce both subcutaneous fat and abdominal fat better than other types of exercise. For optimal fat burning, try to do some High-intensity interval training workouts a few times per week.
03. Strength Training or Weight Training:- Along with high-intensity interval training, you should also do regular strength training or weight training. This training can help your body composition by helping you build muscle and lose fat at the same time.
Strength Training or Weight Training has a higher excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) compared to other types of exercise. It means your metabolism may higher for longer after weight-lifting, so you can burn more calories even after your workout is over.
04. Manage Your Stress-Level:- Dieting and exercise aren’t everything, your body composition also has a lot to do with your mental health and the way you handle stress. When you stressed, it increase the amount of cortisol in your blood and high cortisol can make you store more body fat.
Though it is impossible to get rid of stress completely, but, you can reduce your stress by regularly practicing things like yoga, meditation and deep breathing.
05. Get Enough Sleep:-To get a fit and healthy body fat percentage, you need enough sleep. Studies have shown that those who sleep less than seven hours per night have a higher percentage of body fat. When you don’t get enough sleep, you have less energy and you move less throughout the day, so you need enough sleep every night.
Remember that losing body fat takes time and consistency. Consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice and guidance based on your specific needs and goals. If you like the article ‘How to Get a Lower Body Fat Percentage’, please share this with your other friends.