How Many Calories a Banana Has: Banana is considered one of the most popular fruit, you will find in grocery stores, gas station and super-markets all over the world.
Banana is also a healthiest fruit contain carbs, including fructose and other natural sugars, potassium, fiber, and vitamin C.
Apart from being a wonderful source of nutrition, banana is also a delicious and easy to eat fruit. But have you ever wondered how many calories a banana has? – and why you should eat a banana every single day.
Below, we will take a look at banana nutrition, and get the detailed story about this healthy and low-calorie fruit.
Table of Contents
How Many Calories a Banana Has?
Bananas come in different sizes, and calories depend on the size & ripeness of the banana. According to the US Department of Agriculture, the average banana contains around 105 calories. An extra small banana under 6 inches long contains about 72 calories.
A small banana under 6-7 inches long give you around 90 calories, where a medium size banana offers you around 105 calories. A large size banana contains about 121 calories, where an extra-large banana gives you around 135 calories.
Related: How Many Calories in An Egg White
|Extra Small Banana (6″ & 81g)||72 Calories|
|Small Banana (6″-7″ & 101g)||90 Calories|
|Medium Banana (7″ – 8″ & 118g)||105 Calories|
|Large Banana (8″ & 136g)||121 Calories|
|Extra Large Banana (8″ – 9″ & 152g)||135 Calories|
Note:- Use our Calorie Calculator to check how many calories you burn per day.
Banana is one of the most popular fruit comes with many benefits. Above we have learned about ‘how many calories a banana has’, now we will look at some ways in which bananas can improve your health.
- Bananas can improves diabetes and reducing some of the liver & kidney problems associated with diabetes.
- Bananas can help you attain and maintain a healthy weight.
- Bananas are a good source of potassium, which helps lower your blood pressure.
- Banana is a healthiest fruit contain carbs, and other natural sugars, potassium, fiber, and vitamin C.
Ripe vs Unripe Banana – What is the Difference?
Ripe bananas taste sweeter than unripe bananas, but it does not mean that they contain more calories. In unripe bananas, the carbohydrate component is mostly composed of resistant starch. But, in ripe bananas, this starch turns into sugar and provides that sweetness, though this doesn’t change the content of calorie at all.
Are Green Bananas Healthier?
Green bananas may provide you some additional benefits and nutrients that yellow bananas do not. Green bananas are rich in resistant starch and pectin that help improve digestive health and lower blood sugar levels. However, green bananas are not as sweet as yellow bananas, but green bananas are even healthier than ripe bananas.
Banana Nutrition Facts
Bananas are an excellent source of potassium, carbohydrates, calories. One medium sized banana provides 105 calories, 14.4g of sugars, 7g of carbohydrates and 1.3g of protein. Here is the nutrition chart of banana provides by the US Department of Agriculture –
1. Carbohydrates:- A medium-sized banana 7″-8″ long provides 27 grams of carbohydrates, that’s include with 3g of fiber and 14 grams of naturally occurring sugar. As banana ripen, some of the starch turns into sugar and provides that sweetness.
2. Fats:- A medium-sized banana provides you with less than 0.5 grams of fat. Bananas contain soluble vitamins A and K, eating them with fat can help unlock those nutritional benefits.
3. Protein:- Bananas are low in protein, a medium-sized banana provides you with around 1.3 g of protein. The quality of protein in bananas are more important than the quantity. According of some studies suggest that lectin, one kind of protein in bananas suppresses cancer cell proliferation.
Why You Should Eat a Banana Every Single Day?
Above we know, how many calories a banana has, now we will take a look why you should eat a banana every single day. According to a research, eating bananas every day could help prevent heart attacks and strokes.
Also, eating bananas provides your body with a lot of powerful nutrients. Bananas contain carbohydrates, potassium, fiber and vitamin C which keep your body healthy and fit.